Wozobona Cultural House And Restaurant
South Western Townships or Soweto as it is known, was formed as a result of the eviction of Africans by Europeans from the city of Johannesburg. The Africans had been drawn to the city because of the need for labour on the Gold mines after 1886. From the start, they were accommodated in separate areas on the outskirts of Johannesburg. In 1904 British-controlled city authorities removed African and Indian residents of Brickfields to an “evacuation camp” at Klipspruit municipal sewage farm (not Kliptown, a separate township) outside the Johannesburg municipal boundary, following a reported outbreak of plague.
Two further townships were laid out to the east and the west of Johannesburg in 1918. Townships to the south west of Johannesburg followed, starting with Pimville in 1934 (a renamed part of Klipspruit) and Orlando in 1935. Apartheid was introduced as law after the 1948 elections that were won by the National Party and stayed in effect till 1994 when the African National Congress came into power. We deal with the period that Apartheid was in effect and highlight the life that was experienced by Africans in that period.
For Bookings and Reservations